Tuesday, November 18, 2008

New, Fun Adventures

A few things I didn't expect to experience in Mexico:

  1. Removing the fat and skin from 80 pounds of chicken

  2. Amost having to go dumpster diving in piles of rotten food and garbage and swarms of flies

  3. Having a car hit the building we live in

  4. Buying a Christmas tree

  5. Driving a big old construction truck with children riding on the hood, roof, bed and trailor screaming "Viva Mexico!"
I want to explain a little more about number 5. Yesterday and today are the days they celbrate Mexican Independence. I thought it was sometime in September but they have so much pride here they have multiple independence days! I think this one is just celebrating a different battle. Anyways, we gussied up the truck with balloons and streamers and hauled children around Durango (the neighborhood of Roca Fuerte which is where I serve). The kids dressed up like revolutionaries back in the day with their sombreros, mustaches, guns, flowing skirts, fancy hair and all. I have to tell you I was very, very nervous to have children riding all over this car that I was driving and responsible for. But all went well. Halfway through the neighborhood the horn gives out. I scream to Rossy, "El horno esta roto!". Only to realize in my Spanish class today that I was saying the oven is broken not the horn is broken. No wonder Rossy and Perla looked at me funny! From that point on Perla and I just made beeping/screaming noises to draw all the attention. Rossy made pozole (a Mexican soup with corn, onion, lettuce an chicken) for everyone to eat after.
Rossy drawing on Isaac's beard


Perla and I in Ricardo and Rossy's house







Once again, I ask that you keep praying for me. I know your prayers are strengthening me and giving me wisdom in new situations each day. Pray for my continued growth in Spanish. Pray that I can begin to build solid and meaningful relationships in Roca Fuerte. That I would be BOLD to step out and use the little Spanish I know to meet people and get to know them and their families. Pray for health. We've had a few people sick these last few days and it really wears on your ability to function and do ministry.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

VIVA MEXICO!!!

I love you and I am so excited for you! And I am so praying for you!! :)

Keep up the good work! You're awesome!

Chelsea said...

The picture of the little boy with the beard makes me smile.

Too cute! This is an awesome journy you're on! I'll be praying for you!

missy said...

hey sarita! i will pray for you- way to go! i am so proud of you, lil missionary chica! con abrazos, missy