Thursday, September 17, 2009

An American Girl Trying to Cook Mexican Food

For those who don't know, I'm staying with my mom in Rochester, Minnesota for the next few weeks. Not really sure how long. Time will tell. For now, I will share my adventure in the Land of 10,000 Lakes...

My plan was to put my cooking skills to use and make an authentic Mexican meal for Mom. I planned to find the local Mexican market (even Rochester has one. actually more than one!). I knew they'd have all the ingredients I needed.

After walking in the glass doors, immediately I saw labels and foods that are so familiar. But I had no idea where anything was. It wasn't at all like Fernando's--the little market downstairs from where we lived in Mexico. In Fernando's I know exactly where the eggs, Arizona iced tea, and tomato puree are. This store in Rochester was familiar but so different. After circling the small store a few times, it was time to check out. I thought to myself, "Do I speak English? Spanish? Does she speak Spanish?" I chose English. And walked out to the parking lot hoping never to go in there again. It was just too akward.

Well, besides burning the hot peppers for the salsa, it turned out pretty well. Like always, I made WAY too much. What can I say? I'm used to cooking for 50. Not 2. But I don't think I should ever cook Mexican food for Mexicans. My cooking is just not the same. I would need a bit more training.

No comments: