Monday, June 05, 2006

My New Motto

I decided that my motto on this trip is

"It's part of the Adventure!"

I'm still in Dakar. I should have left on a plane yesterday to go to Conakry, Guinea, but the flight was full so I got put on today's flight. I slept very well last night.

I arrived in Dakar yesterday at 5:15am. That's 9:00pm Nevada Time. You can compare that to where ever you are. It's 8 hours later here than in Las Vegas. The Walkers (a great couple who work as missionaries in the regional office here in Senegal) picked us up (Sarah D. and I) and took us to their house. We had coffee cake for breakfast (nothing African about it) and talked. We napped from 9am to 11am and then went to eat at this great restraunt right on the beach. It was GORGEOUS! I had some garlic shrimp and fries and Sprite. mmm. Then we drove up to a lighthouse where we could see the westermost point of Africa. If you look at a map, it's the little horn that stick out to the left. Then we we took Sarah D. to the airpost since she had a seat on the flight yesterday. Then we came back, the power went out, and I went to sleep. Oh we also had sloppy joes and cucumber salad for dinner. All of the food has been pretty normal!

In Senegal, it's very dirty. There is trash EVERYWHERE! Dogs, cats and goats wander the streets. And there are lots of horses. They are very skinny. People own them to pull their carriages. There are lots of cars and lots of traffic! At 10 this morning, it was 90 degrees already. Africa has rainy season and dry season. Dry season is cool and rainy season is hot. June begins rainy season. Yay!

The power is out right now too but they have a gernerator to power the computers. I'm using their wireless Internet right now from my laptop.
So my plane should leave at 4:15pm today. Hopefully all of that will go according to plan.

Thank you guys for all of your encouragement! Someone sent me this piece of Scripture and it's helped me a lot:

3Not only so, but we[a] also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; 4perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.--Romans 5:3-5 (Thanks Kat!)

So I'm trying to rejoice in these stressful times. God is good. All the time! And I know that he will protect me and guide me through all of the things that don't go according to plan.

11 comments:

dizzane said...

hi sis. i think i figured this thing out. took a while. good to hear you are doing well. i thought you would have been freaking out. hmmm guess you proved me wrong. i have been preying for you and i wont stop till' you get home. keep in touch

love,
dane
and mom & dad
& lucky & tank'
hahaha

play on playa!!!!

Mom said...

My darling Sarah (you never hear me say that but I mean it)~

Dane just showed me how to do this. Otherwise I'm totally oblivious.

So sorry I was so dis-oriented when you called today. You know what a challenge it is to catch a call before the printer goes into "fax mode". I didn't want you to get the terrible pitch sound yet the printer was eating my paper as we spoke. So I'm trying to address all of that and still have a conversation with you that wasn't working to my advantage. So, I missed telling you how much we already miss you. Stan (I remember his name now) is a fantastic guy. He was great to call and let us know you made your flight this AM.

Lori is caught up in sister wedding stuff. Dad is alreay asleep caught up in work and yard stuff. Dane is great and ready for school to be over. I'm a mess with work and preparing for the family to arrive. By the way, I just walked into your room expecting a lot of clean up and you did a great job! Thank you very much for that.

I love you so very much!!! I hope to stay on top of this and keep in touch. I'll try to make everyone do the same as they come and go from the house. Should be amusing to watch grandpa pound out the keys.

XXOXXO - Your mom

Sara Myers said...

Dear, Dear Sarah....you really did get the "sink or swim" program for international travel....but true to form you handled it beautifully. GranPatty and I cried with you when we read about your good-byes and "adventures". We are praying for you.

Mom said...

Sarah,

How is it going with the language lessons? Any other highlights so far?

Things are quiet here. Grandma Elva called yesterday to see how you were doing. I told her about this web-page you created and she is looking forward to reading it when she get's here. As you know, she, Kevin, Judy and Gayla arrive on Sunday. I'm trying to get as much stuff done around the house as possible and not leave it all for Saturday.

Do you have more of that colored glass you used to make my Mother's Day gift? If yes, would you mind if I used it? I poked through your closet but couldn't find it.

Dad is getting the grass put in tomorrow, in the back yard. Then it should be just about done. The A/C was fixed downstairs today - Lori will be so pleased.

That's all the updates I have for today. Hope you are enjoying your time there. We miss you here.

Love, Mom

reganm said...

Sarah,
I can't believe all of the crazy trials you have faced already - satan is already attacking because God has amazing plans for you. Great job at handling it with faith in God and amazing patience - you are such an awesome woman of God and don't you forget it!! Keep trusting Him, He loves you and has amazing plans for you. I love you and miss you already. I'm praying for you!

in Him,
Regan

Sara Myers said...

June 8, 2006......HAPPY BIRTHDAY. You know if you were here, we'd take you out for a big lunch....Mex! Yummmm. Your birthday is cause for celebration in Heaven because I'm certain God's smiling on you as you work to glorify Him.
Blessings, sam><>

richelle said...

Hey Sarah!!
I'm praying for you so much. I just wanted to say happy birthday and I miss ya!!

love,
Richelle

rbicker said...

Sarah, we have been praying for you in Breakout each week. We all hope you are doing well and that you are doing amazing things for God. Each of the Breakout kids who wanted to wrote you a note wrote one, and I told them I would post them on your Web Blog.

---------------------------------------
Hi Sarah,
How are you? Is there a different language there? I hope your having a good time. May God be with you.

From,
Jeremy
---------------------------------------
Dear Ms. Sarah,
I hope you are having a great time in Africa. What kind of animals did you see? Any lions? Can you tell me.
Love,
Sierra Benavidez
----------------------------------------
Hi Sarah,
How are you? What's up! What have you done! How is africa! Please write back!
From your friend,
Kate
----------------------------------
Dear Sarah,
I hope youi are having a great time in Guinea. And I also wish that you are sharing to tones of people the news of the Lord. I wish the rest of your time will be exciting and full of joy. I can't wait for you to get back.
Your friend,
Kailie
-------------------------------------------------
How is Africa? Do you like the food? Do you like the way they look. We all miss you at Breakout! We can't wait till you come back.
Jessie
---------------------------------------------------
Dear Sarah,
Hi WHATS UP! How is it. Is it ever freaky there. Met any cool kidz. Are you having fun. Hope you have a fun time.
Sincerly,
RHETT
-----------------------------------------------------

Sarah, I read some of your comments to the breakout kids and they could not wait to pray for you. They are very excited about what you get to do there in Africa. I know they will have lots of questions when you get back! In the mean time, know that we are praying for you as a group. Hopefully these notes will encourage you.

See you in a few weeks.
-Ryan

- said...

Hi there Sarah! I miss you! Lots and Lots and wish I could just give you a phone call right now! Be Strong and Courageous! You rock! See you soon!

mom said...

So glad to hear you had a nice birthday. We sure were thinking about you here.

Everyone has come and gone now for Dane's graduation. Was really nice to see everybody. Everyone missed you not being here. I took lots of pictures to show you when you get home.

You sure are experiencing a lot of interesting things over there. Sounds like you are exactly where you want to be. I'm so happy for you.

Looking forward to your next update. I'm off to Dallas tomorrow for the week. I'll check in with you when I return.

Love,
Mom

mom said...

So glad to hear you had a nice birthday. We sure were thinking about you here.

Everyone has come and gone now for Dane's graduation. Was really nice to see everybody. Everyone missed you not being here. I took lots of pictures to show you when you get home.

You sure are experiencing a lot of interesting things over there. Sounds like you are exactly where you want to be. I'm so happy for you.

Looking forward to your next update. I'm off to Dallas tomorrow for the week. I'll check in with you when I return.

Love,
Mom